Tracy L. Coenen, CPA, CFF has personally investigated hundreds of frauds in a wide variety of industries. Her work includes fraud examinations and financial investigations in cases of embezzlement, financial statement fraud, investment fraud, family law, and insurance fraud. She has served as an expert witness in numerous cases in state and federal courts involving damage calculations, commercial contract disputes, shareholder disputes and criminal defense.
Certified Public Accountant (CPA) – Licensed in Wisconsin and Illinois
Certified in Financial Forensics (CFF)
Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS)
Master of Business Administration – Marquette University
Honors Bachelor of Arts in Criminology and Law Studies – Marquette University
- Working in an investigative or accounting capacity for nearly two decades
- Adjunct Instructor at Marquette University (2014)
- Adjunct Professor at Concordia University – Wisconsin (2001-2009, 2013-2014)
- Adjunct Faculty for the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (2006-2007)
- Journal of Accountancy Editorial Adviser (2008-present)
- The Value Examiner Editorial Board (2010-present)
- Instructor for NACVA Cornerstones of Financial Forensics Workshop (2012-present)
- Master Analyst in Financial Forensics (MAFF) Fraud Risk Management Course (NCAVA, 2013)
- CPA Services in Divorce and Family Law (Bisk Education, Inc., 2012)
- Introduction to Litigation Services (Bisk Education, Inc., 2012) – Contributing Author
- Foundations of Financial Forensics (NACVA/AICPA, 2012) – Fraud Prevention, Detection, and Investigation (Chapter 13)
- The CPA’s Handbook of Fraud and Commercial Crime Prevention (AICPA, 2009-present) – Lead Author
- Expert Fraud Investigation: A Step-by-Step Guide (Wiley, 2009)
- Essentials of Corporate Fraud (Wiley, 2008)
- Contributing Editor, CFO.com (2011-2012)
- Author of Fraud Files column for Wisconsin Law Journal (2005-2012)
- Financial writer at AOL, writing about fraud, scams, and ripoffs for business finance site DailyFinance, personal finance site WalletPop, and stock market site BloggingStocks (2007-2011)
- Published in numerous industry publications including Fraud Magazine, Andrews Litigation Reporter, Wisconsin Law Journal, New York Daily Record, On Balance, Minnesota Lawyer, St. Louis Daily Record, Kansas City Daily Record, and Small Business Times.
- Content published by online media such as Business Week, Washington Post, and CBS News.
Speaker and Trainer
- Presenter at major industry conferences sponsored by organizations such as ACFE, AICPA, NACVA, IASIU, and state CPA societies
- Keynote speaker for organizations such as ACFE, Wisconsin Institute of CPAs, Indiana CPA Society, and Society of Louisiana CPAs
- Continuing education provider for NACVA, ACFE, and multiple state CPA societies
- Corporate anti-fraud trainer, instructing law firms, accounting firms, and insurance companies on best practices related to fraud management, fraud prevention, and fraud detection and investigation
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts (NACVA)
- Association of Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialists (ACAMS)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
Awards and Media
- 2010 Marquette University Alumni National Awards winner, receiving the Entrepreneurial Award from the College of Business Administration
- 2007 winner of the Hubbard Award, presented by the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners.
- 2002 Women of Influence award winner, presented by the Business Journal.
- Commentary has been featured on CNBC, NBC News, ABC News, CBS News, and FOX.
- Quoted on fraud issues and entrepreneurship in business publications such as the Wall Street Journal, Compliance Week, Entrepreneur.com, USA Today, Financial Executive Magazine, Business Journal, and Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
Tracy’s bio can be found here.