A Legislative Audit Bureau report on the UW System’s employment practices shows that the system employed 40 felons currently under supervision this past fall. (An Associated Press report states 40 felons work for the UW System, but the truth is that the 40 are only the ones currently under supervision. There could be other felons working for the system, but not under supervision.)
- The 40 felons were convicted of 54 felonies.
- 34 of the 40 are currently on probation or parole.
- 4 of the 40 are incarcerated.
- 1 of the 40 is under limited supervision.
- 25 of the employees were felons prior to their employment in the system.
- 27 of the 40 felons work at UW-Madison.
- 4 of the 40 felons work at UW-Milwaukee.
- 4 of the 40 felons are part of the academic staff.
As for the crimes committed by these felons under supervision and working for the UW System:
- 9 of the 54 felonies were considered violent, and included cases of 5 sexual assault of a child and 2 homicides.
- Of the 45 non-violent felonies, 9 were fraud and forgery, 7 were drunk driving, 7 were theft, and 6 were drug possession.