Sequence Inc. is involved in all phases of the litigation process, from investigation to strategic consultation, through settlement or trial. Our clients rely on us to provide sound advice and independent, credible analysis of complex litigation matters.
Our firm’s independence is highly valued by our clients. Because we do not provide any attest services, we do not have the same potential for conflicts of interest as many public accounting firms.
The depth of Sequence Inc.’s forensic accounting experience is evident when examining complex cases. We see the issues in terms of the “big picture,” yet we never lose sight of the details and their investigative value.
Our work includes the following types of cases:
- Accountants’ Professional Liability – We can evaluate the work of Certified Public Accountants when fraud was not uncovered or the professional standards were not followed. Our services leverage our auditing, accounting, and fraud knowledge to help evaluate the work done by auditors and accountants during financial statement audits, financial statement reviews, and compilation engagements. Sequence Inc. has completed numerous engagements related to accountants’ malpractice. We can evaluate your case to determine whether a malpractice claim is viable, render opinions on whether the CPAs complied with applicable professional standards, and give expert witness testimony.
- Contract Disputes, Damage Calculations, and Lost Profit Calculations – Sequence Inc. has experience calculating lost profits and other damages for a wide variety of disputes, including commercial construction, fair dealership, equipment failures, automobile accidents, supplier-purchaser disputes, and financial disputes involving negotiable instruments and secured transactions. We are adept at calculating lost revenues, lost profits, lost opportunities, and unjust enrichment. We can also include an examination of the company’s operating history and current industry conditions, including an evaluation of economic conditions of the market, as well as other factors that may or may not contribute to financial losses.
- Divorce and Family Law – We perform confidential investigations at the request of a spouse, using only legal means to gather information and documentation. Sequence Inc.’s divorce services include analysis of the source and use of funds, searching for unreported income, lifestyle analysis, dissipation claims, analysis and identification of property ownership, examination of business interests, and reconstruction of business books and records.
- Financial Statement Examination – Sequence Inc. examines and evaluates financial statements, related schedules and notes, and other public company filings for potential red flags of fraud. During this examination, we will evaluate the quantitative and qualitative aspects of the financial statements and related filings. We may identify irregularities in financial statement data, material misrepresentations or omissions, incomplete or misleading disclosures, or application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Government Investigations (Defense) – We aid individuals and corporations in defending themselves against government investigations, including those started by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Internal Revenue Service (IRS), and state and local governments. Financial investigations of this nature are often complex, and it is in the best interest of the target of the investigation to have an expert of their own to examine the complicated financial issues. Sequence Inc. focuses on on detailed audits of the figures and calculations set forth by the government. Not only do we determine the accuracy of the numbers, we also evaluate the theories behind the crimes the government is attempting to prove.
- Money Laundering – Sequence Inc. has extensive experience tracing money moved with high volumes of transactions and through multiple bank accounts. Following fine grain details with a high degree of accuracy is crucial in these investigations. We can manage cases with hundreds of bank accounts and hundreds of thousands of transactions, effectively tracking the flow of funds between people, organizations, and accounts.
- Shareholder Disputes – Our services related to shareholder disputes include misappropriation or theft of company assets, misappropriation of fiduciary duty, and dissenting stockholder suits. Sequence Inc. can also assist with damage calculations and other money matters during buyouts or litigation.
- Tax Controversy and Tax Fraud (Civil or Criminal Defense) – We provide expert assistance in resolving both civil and criminal tax matters. Tax cases are very often based upon complex assumptions made by taxing authorities regarding a taxpayer’s income and expenses. Those assumptions are many times made without a full analysis of all available data, but the burden of proof rests with the taxpayer. The taxpayer is generally at a disadvantage in tax matters due to to the lack of expertise regarding financial documentation, estimation methods, and tax law. Sequence Inc. has the experience required to effectively challenge the taxing authorities on their calculations and proof of income and expenses, apply direct and indirect methods of calculating income, interpret and applying the tax code to specific income and expense items, and calculate the tax lost to assist in sentencing.
- White Collar Criminal Defense – Sequence Inc. provides forensic accounting services to assist with criminal defense. Defendants are entitled to a competent defense, and that may often involve a detailed analysis of complex financial transactions. Our firm has the capability and experience to analyze the documentation and numbers with integrity and objectivity, in order to present the facts accurately to assist with the defense of the client.
Sequence Inc. has experience managing large volumes of data in cases with complex scenarios and Tracy has successfully evaluated causation and damages in a variety of industries. We can be involved at any stage of the litigation process, including strategic consultation, investigation, document examination, deposition, and trial.
Tracy Coenen’s strong background in forensic investigations and fraud examinations is topped off with skilled deposition and court testimony, having been named as the expert in hundreds of matters in State and Federal courts. Her hands-on approach to the investigative process is rewarded with a thorough, first-hand knowledge of the documents and data, which translates into credible expert witness testimony.