Why I Hate Intuit and Quickbooks

I hate Intuit, the makers of Quickbooks and Quicken software. The reason is simple: Instead of relying on value to sell their products, they use trickery, deceit, and strongarm tactics.

Any accounting professional who uses Quickbooks in their work knows what I’m going to say without even saying it. Each year, Quickbooks comes out with a new product. This year’s edition is cleverly named “Quickbooks 2009.”

But it’s not really one product each year. It’s three. Yes, there are three different versions of the yearly software, Simple ($99), Pro ($119), and Premier ($399).

And in order for two users (such as a client and an accountant) to be able to share their bookkeeping file, they must be using the exact same version. If your client has Simple, and you open their file using Pro, the client won’t be able to access that file with Simple anymore. Unless of course one is using Premier… then the file will still work if the other user has Pro or Simple.

But you get the picture. You must use the same “year” of software, and also the same version unless you get the really expensive version. And of course, the fees I quoted above are only for a “one user” license. If multiple people in your office need to access the file, you’ll have to buy more licenses.

My hate for Intuit and Quickbooks goes deeper, though. This “version” scam is bad enough. But it’s gotten worse. Each year the software becomes more and more filled with advertising. You can hardly enter a set of transactions without at least one advertisement disrupting things.

“Need to email invoices? Buy this!”

“Need more check printing supplies? We have the answer!”

“Ever thoughttt of doing XYZ? Pay us to help!”

I’m sure the nice Intuit people would tell you they’re just trying to help with useful suggestions. We all know they’re trying to make a buck and disrupting work in the software which has been paid for. (Hint: Annoying constant advertising is most often reserved for “free” software.)

But it gets better. I recently purchased Quickbooks 2009, and in order to get the lowest price for it, I was required to accept a “free month” of their technical support service. Take that “free” service out of the cart, and the price of the sofware jumped.

About a week after my purchase, I got a welcome kit in the mail. Thanks so much for trying our technical support, blather blather.

I immediately went about canceling the service, as the teeny tiny lettering indicated that my credit card would automatically be billed monthly for the service unless I canceled. Finding out how to cancel wasn’t easy. It involved sending a note to customer service asking to cancel, using a particular form on the website.

I did this twice. Yes, I sent two notes to cancel, so that I could be sure that my unwanted subscription was truly canceled.

And guess what? My credit card was just charged for the service. Oopsie! We never received your request to cancel!

I always find it interesting that the purchases of software and services never seem to get lost. But the cancellations… those always magically get lost in cyberspace.

So now I will spend time this morning calling customer service in India. Going through several automated and aggravating menus. Verifying all sorts of numbers. Being transferred several times. Quickbooks will not make this easy for me. I should have paid the higher price for the software and refused to deal with this.

Lesson learned. Intuit sucks. Quickbooks sucks. How about relying on the quality and desirability of the product to sell it, instead of trickery and deceit? I realize there aren’t many options for accounting software anymore. Believe me, if I didn’t have to use Quickbooks, I wouldn’t. I hate you, Intuit and Quickbooks.

Similar Posts:

129 Comments

• Michael Goode says:
    21 April 2009

Here here! I also like of course how Quickbooks allows you to do things that are not Kosher in any sort of accounting, allowing neophytes to royally mess up their books.

• Rich Walker, CPA says:
    21 April 2009

Tracy,

I am an Intuit employee in the Accounting Professionals Division, and want to help solve your problem with getting your refund credited correctly to your account. I sincerely apologize for the headaches that we have caused you with your order of QuickBooks 2009. I will work with our Customer Service team to get this issue resolved promptly.

To meet the needs of accounting professionals who have clients on different versions of QuickBooks, we have the QuickBooks Premier Accountant Edition, designed specifically for accountants and auditors who serve multiple clients. The Accountant Edition serves as an “umbrella” master version that works with all client versions, including Simple Start, Pro, Premier and all the industry-specific versions of QuickBooks, but it keeps the clients’ file in its “native” format so that the clients can continue to use whatever version they wish.

Many of our accounting professional customers choose to join the QuickBooks ProAdvisor Program, which includes the QuickBooks Premier Accountant Edition and the QuickBooks Enterprise Solution Accountant Edition, as well as unlimited technical support from a U.S.-based team dedicated to serving accountants.

I would really like to help with problems you raised in your blog. What can I do to make things right for you?

Regards,
    Rich Walker, CPA
    Intuit Inc.

• Brian Tankersley, CPA.CITP says:
    21 April 2009

Tracy, the issues you’re raising are NOT indicative of anything I’ve ever experienced in my 10 years of working with Intuit and their products. I’ve used QuickBooks, QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions, and Lacerte Tax, and have found Intuit to consistently offer great products at a fair price.

• Alison Ball says:
    21 April 2009

Hi Tracy,
    I also work at Intuit in the Accounting Professionals Division, and before I came to Intuit in 2004, was a practicing accountant using QuickBooks to do the books for approx 170 clients. We used Accountant Edition, for all the reasons that Rich has outlined above – we didn’t have to have every version on our computers anymore, and we could send back the files to the clients in “their” version. So it was great for our needs.

But in those days, you DID have to on the same year as your client…. accountants didn’t like that, because not everyone upgrades each year.

So the Product Management team here created 2 options:

1) Accountant Edition 2008 and 2009 now support “backwards compatibility” – this means that if your client is on 2007 and you are on 2008, they can send you the Accountants Copy file, and you can open it up in 2008 and work on it, then send it back as a 2007 file. Same for 2009 (your client can send you a 2008 or 2009 Accountants Copy file, and you can work on it in your 2009 version, but still send it back in their year.) So that is a start, anyways. And you don’t ever “change or upgrade” their version – it stays the same as what the client is using.

2) Remote Access – we have the ability now in QuickBooks Premier Accountant, for you to use Webex from within the product, and “remote in” to your client’s computer! This allows you to work on THEIR SOFTWARE, completely solving the issue of versions and years entirely.

I hope this additional information is helpful? Bottom line – We are trying to make accountants aware of all the things we are doing to facilitate great relationships between them and their customers, but we haven’t been able to let everyone know!

Also – if there is anything I can help with in the future, please let me know!

best regards,

Alison Ball
    Accountant Training, Intuit

• Mimed198 says:
    1 May 2009

Quickbooks 2009 is the absolute worst. I have used Quickbooks for years with no problems. I was forced to upgrade to 2009 and I have had nothing but trouble. I have had five separate calls to tech support to have issue resolved , after four or five wasted hours issue is resolved. Next day issue of error -6000 -301 is back again. This will not let you back up and all data is lost. What a joke this version is.

• Texasjune says:
    2 May 2009

When you take care of her, would you help me, please.
    Why is the registration service not open today? The phone message says open Mon-Sun …until 6pmPacificTime. I need to work on my books this weekend. All Intuit offices say they are closed today, Sat. May 2, 2009. Is it a holiday I haven’t heard of?

• NelsonH says:
    5 May 2009

I started with QB 97, it was fairly good and hardly ever crashed. Then I upgraded to 2005. Much bigger and slower loading. Crashed a few times, the last time it corrupted my company file. Unfortunately I hadn’t been making backups as often as I should have. The QB tech recommended I upgrade to 2008 and use the convert older file feature. No luck. Now I’m running QB 08. It has to be one of the most bloated programs out there. It takes fully as long as XP to load on my PC (which isn’t exactly a cutting edge PC). Also, it seems to crash much more often, and I never have been able to get the multi-user networked part working. And believe me, I’ve tried everything in the books and then some. Definately would not recommend QB anymore. They (and their software) have gotten too big for their own good.

• PurpleSlog says:
    9 May 2009

What about free GNU Cash?

–>

GnuCash is a free accounting software program which implements a double-entry bookkeeping system. It was initially aimed at developing capabilities similar to Intuit, Inc.’s Quicken application, but also has features for small business accounting. Recent development has been focused on adapting to modern desktop support-library requirements.
    [...]

<–

Actual web site: http://www.gnucash.org/

• Tracy Coenen says:
    9 May 2009

I looked into that, but research said that it was more like Quickne, which isn’t robust enough for the business stuff I need to do.

• Ben Vaughn says:
    14 May 2009

I wholeheartedly agree with Tracy’s original blog post. Intuit should be ashamed of the way they run their company. If my company did that, we’d be out of business. Everything in that post is 100% accurate. I hate Intuit!!!!!

If there was an alternative (and if enough of us disgruntled Quickbooks users continue to be heard there will be) I would switch in a moments notice.

Shame on you Intuit. Scam artists…

• Michelle Long, CPA says:
    5 June 2009

I’m sorry that you had trouble canceling the support, but I’m glad to hear that the issue has been resolved.

I wanted to clarify a misconception in your post. You CAN use a data file between Simple Start, QuickBooks Pro and Premier from the same year. Those 3 share the same database. So, if the client has Simple Start 2009 and someone opens/uses the file in QuickBooks Pro or Premier 2009, the file CAN still be used in Simple Start 2009.

• Tracy Coenen says:
    5 June 2009

Michelle – That’s not true for 2008 versions and prior though, right?

• Jennifer Thieme says:
    13 June 2009

I’ve found that the best way to handle erroneous credit card charges is with the credit card company rather than with the retailer. If you call the credit card company and let them know of the erroneous charge, they will reverse it. This means that the money is taken from the retailer’s account and placed back into yours. The burden of proof is then on the retailer to show that it’s NOT an erroneous charge. Since they won’t be able to do this, the issue is solved.

• Chris McMillan says:
    13 June 2009

We have used QB since 2003 and find everything that Tracy has posted to be true. As a user, you are locked into worthless upgrades if you want to process payroll or use online banking. The 2009 version has no significant upgrades from 2006…just a bunch more advertising messages. I truly wish someone would come along and give QB some competition.

• Janet Anderson says:
    17 June 2009

I realize that i am bit out of sync in my Intuit hate ‘em issue but i noticed that Intuit people check this and maybe – just maybe i can get to right person…preferably a local one who has a brain (i’m in Mtn View so it shouldn’t be a stretch)

My file of QB 2008 has been in the service support loop for two weeks now. Today i was called a liar and then had my file destroyed before my eyes. When i asked the guy to fix what he just did he said it wasn’t his problem and he’d ask around as to how to fix it – this is a third level tech. I’m heading into a PricewaterHouse audit on monday the 22nd with no quickbooks…no wonder i’m barfing!

Their support is horrendous – worse i had to pay to be treated like that. grrrr my first thought was camp out at the CEO office but i may have to be re-entering data instead. or maybe i can do that in his waiting area…

• E says:
    18 June 2009

It is a poor product, but people use it because it it cheap. Business owners think they can buy this and hire someone for five dollars an hour to do their bookkeeping(people who know nothing about accounting). Then they bring that heaping pile of dung in at the end of the year to their CPA and say ” you shoudn’t have to do much to this, its already all entered. I could wire someone’s home too, but that doesnt mean that it would be done properly. It is excellent for people who want to defraud their employers, because you can write a check, print it out, then go back in afterwards and change the payee name. It always creates about three retained earnings accounts on its own each year also, that mean nothing.

• Taleb Bekkali says:
    19 June 2009

Recently My Computer crashed and I needed to re-install quickbooks Pro 2006 I do not have any reason to upgrade, now I had to re-register the product over the phone, well after spending 1 hour talking to India, I have been told that I could not register my product that I bought in 2007 and I have to upgrade for $399.00. Luckily I was able to save my Data. They are treating the consumer like cows Just milk. Go ahead intuit milk these suckers whenever you want.

• Juls says:
    1 July 2009

Used QB for 10 years. Recently I had to call in to reinstall my program. They talked me into renewing my payroll. Fine, I did, updated & next time I went to use my computer my payments were not showing in my undeposited funds. I have 2 companies so I tried the other which doesn’t use payroll & it worked fine. I called tech support, they wanted to tell me I was doing something incorrectly & charge me for the answer to the problem. I said no thanks, I will work around it. Not to mention the guys accent was so strong I could barely understand him. After further investigation I found a change in my preferences. I never looked there because I KNEW I hadn’t changed any settings. So I went to the other work computer with QB still on it & looked at it’s setting. It had also been changed. I hadn’t use QB on the computer for over a month. So mysteriously, the company name registered on the software has a settings change out of the blue. I some how “forgot” I made this change twice. Also, I am the only one in the office that uses a computer. The tech person seemed very smug in his response it was NOT the download. Wonder how much money a download that changes something in your settings would generate for tech support?

After all the update purchases over the year & this episode I have a very luke warm opinion of QB. Not to mention automatic updates is turned off.

• Shawn says:
    12 July 2009

Quickbooks and Intuit sucks, PERIOD. This fact hasn’t changed just because an Intuit employee was sucking up on this blog after someone complained…the fact still remains Quickbooks is the worst software package I have ever used. I am an engineer that writes PC applications as well as uses on average atleast 10 different software packages from as many manufacturers every day. Navigation and data entry is horrible and extremely inefficient, which is what the program is used for 99% of the time.

If I am looking at an open PO, shouldn’t I just be able to right click or click a button on the PO to receive those items rather than having to go up to the transactions button, select receive items, then re-find that SAME PO again, the one I was just looking at!!!! Everything is done that way…extremely inefficient and confusing.

Why does it take 5 minutes for Quickbooks pro to load even on a fast machine like I have (probably have to load all those advertisements). It takes 8 seconds for QB to recognize a wrong password was entered…why so long. Even when not using Quickbooks there are still Quickbook services ( one is QB updates) running in the background taking up CPU and memory resources as well as connecting to Intuit over the internet without users aware of this thus further slowing down people’s computers even then they are not using Quickbooks. No way to shut those services down in the QB software so have to manually shut them off. I had to block QB from accessing the internet with my firewall program.

I hate this program and am actively searching for an alternative or may write my own. That must be why Intuit has an SDK program so people can write their own software to make up for the huge inadequacies of this program. For you accountants who like this program, you clearly are not doing data entry for day to day transactions that small businesses actually have to perform. My business is manufacturing of engineered products, not struggling through a horribly written bookkeeping program.

• Tracy Coenen says:
    12 July 2009

Shawn – I can’t argue with anything you’ve said. The fact is that I’ve been using QB long enough that I know some little tricks to get around the limitations of the software. The more time passes, the more Intuit does things to “dummy proof” the software, the worse it is.

I recently started using QBOnline with a client, and it was a complete nightmare. Talk about inefficient and time consuming. Not worth the $35 a month… in fact, not even worth it if it was FREE.

I use QB for the lack of an alternative that works for me. But I’d love to build my own package too. There has got to be something better.

• Mike says:
    14 July 2009

I was just forced to upgrade my 2006 quickbooks so I could download credit card information into it. Because 2006 lossed support and can’t “validate” the credit card report you download. What a bunch of crap!

I was stupid and bought the 2009 I should have bought peachtree or something else. To make matters worse you have the “registration process” which basically is a way for them to bleed you for more money by asking a bunch of questions and hard selling you into buying extra products you don’t need. I could hardly understand the lady I was speaking to and she got mad at me. (I am sure it was because I didn’t buy all the extras)

BTW you can easily find out your payroll taxes here.

• Mike says:
    14 July 2009

I can believe I spelled lost like that. lol

• i solve your problems says:
    14 July 2009

for all you people that are in disgust at how INTUIT keeps ripping off its customers for worthless upgrades and having to pay for customer service. do yourself a favor. download the bittorrent version of the software, you dont have to throw your money away using crappy software and bad customer service!!!!

• Lars says:
    21 July 2009

Have used the Q-Book products since 1996. Was forced to buy payroll function at around $ 50 pr year. Now it is up to almost $ 400.00 pr year. Intuit is robbing their customers blind with their marketing system. I also was tricked in to the monthly technical support at $29.00 with first month so called free. How can it be free if you pay $29.00 per month since you will not get the so called FREE month unless you agree to pay the monthly fee? This is my last year using the Q-Book products. I refuse to be robbed and tricked for coming years. Q-Book have market them self out of valuable market shares. They are using nothing short of Mafia tactics. In addition they are spying on your computer data and collecting valuable information unknown to you, the user, without declaring or informing you. Their sales force is paid by commission and will do anything to trick you and decieve you in to buying products and services. Wonder what percentage of customers are scammed with the technical support scam? Then, since they know, a percentage of the scammed customers will call to complain and try to cancel the non authorized purchase they have established a “call center” in India to handle the complaint where you have to talk to some one barely speaking english. I am sure the labor cost to handle the percentage of callers is far less than the profit they make on the original scam for those customers who do not realize the scam or did not notice the charges on their cc statements! Intuit, the Corporation and Q-Books are scam artists and should be hit with a Class Action Law-Suit! If there is interest and you want to get it started, please send me a note! Thanks for listening.

• Frances Limoncelli says:
    24 July 2009

Today I received an email from Intuit telling me that they have acquired an online payroll service I use called Paycycle. As a user of Paycycle and a former user of Intuit software, I’d like to post my feedback letter to Paycycle; sent to them today.
    Hello, Paycycle.
    I really, really like your service. I have found it extremely easy to use and when I needed help the ease of contact and efficiency and demeanor of the staff were a dream. I have recommended you to countless friends.
    Now that you are being acquired by Intuit, I’m concerned. My experience with their software is that it is needlessly complicated, not user-friendly and doesn’t INTUIT the kinds of things I need to do. Today I clicked the link in the notification email they sent me to try to send this directly to them. After ten frustrating minutes I still had not been able to make contact. The “feedback” links are broken; the customer support links force you to choose an Intuit software (which I don’t use) in order to submit a request for support, and there is no other contact method available. Typical of Intuit.
    What a contrast to come to your Paycycle site, click the contact link on the bottom of the home page and immediately get easy to use choices of contact, like the email form I am using right now. So, please send this email to your new overlords at Intuit. Tell them I am concerned. I want Paycycle to stay the same. If anything, Intuit should learn from a company that’s doing it right, not impose its own flawed methods on Paycycle.
    I am beginning research on other payroll services NOW, so that the minute Paycycle becomes Intuit-like, I will be able to change immediately.
    Thank you for your previous FANTASTIC service. It is greatly appreciated. If the creators of Paycycle come up with something else, let me know.
    Frances Limoncelli
    If you hate Intuit like I do, or if you love Paycycle, speak out!

• Brian Sim says:
    18 August 2009

We were running 2005 QuikBooks Pro ContractorsEd and had rapped up 2008 taxes, all we needed to do was burn the file to a disk and drop it off with our accountant, just before we were about to burn it to disk a little window popped up requesting to download updates from QB…. Well we did, and low and behold it said 2005 was no longer supported,…..But it doesn’t stop there…. our 2008 data files were gone….. We called INTUIT, stayed on the phone for ever, so tech support could say we needed 2009 QB for $499 … We asked were our files were, he said he didn’t know, but with the new version they would be fine and would have our files back… the 2008 records were parsed or broken up and renamed… I tried “system restore” to early version, undelete programs, it all pointed to the QB updated and the same time the down load of the update from QB, at that time all the saved data was renamed and broken into multiple files with random registry entries pointing to multiple files… all the short cuts even pointed to broken renamed registry entries…INTIUIT you can keep your big dumb ass company, overpaid pr*cks and cr*p headed techs, and piece of sh*t programs… But leave our f*cking DATA ON OUR COMPUTERS ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do hope business like this results another failed company mainly INTUIT and all companies connected to them… Greed and control has lead some great companies and countries to where we are today…The governments protects companies that keep them stuffed too the gills with cash stolen from their clients, then the governments try to bail out those companies with $ stolen from their citizens, what a great system.. We’re the clients, the tax payers, the mules…… Go hire an accountant, it’s cheaper and easier than buying another copy of QB, also try some other great software, PEACHTREE is a good one. LET THIER SYSTEMS FAIL… Email, Post, and Don’t Buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Kyle says:
    25 August 2009

I’ve worked with QuickBooks since the turn of 2000. For the most part, it does what it needs to do: handle book work. When we tried to upgrade to 2009 a while back though, we ran into plenty of trouble. The file wouldn’t update, and tech support claimed we would need to have our datafile shipped off to be repaired for several hundred dollars.

After some careful google searches, I corrected the problem myself in about fifteen minutes (as it turns out, I needed to delete and re-enter certain damaged transactions, and run a rebuild utility.) Of course, Intuit tech support didn’t bother mentioning anything about this, they were quick to try and get us to send our data so they could charge us.

My second beef comes from the QuickBooks SDK. While I should give some kudos for a cross language API, I’ve found it to be a very sloppy, very ugly in design. There is an massive reliance on aggregate objects, which results in method calls literally 100+ characters in length. Don’t get me wrong, I like OOP, but that’s just obnoxious. Simple actions, such as modifying a customer, require query calls, which each have a large set of calls required to make the query, and then you have to mine the reply message set… very nasty to work with. Honestly, it feels more like Intuit exposed low level calls and decided to let the user make their own API: Which is exactly what I’ve had to do, make an entire sub-API to wrap the QuickBooks API. The calls are nasty, the structure is nasty, the whole system is nasty.

• ripped off by intuit says:
    30 August 2009

Does it really amaze anyone htat their sole concern is….for them and their shareholders? These are awesome comments, thank you for keeping alive their work in progress.

• theresa galdony says:
    7 October 2009

I just “fell” for the same scam. I agree with Tracy wholeheartedly. One computer has QB2008 pro and I just bought 2009 through a Office Depot promo thinking I could finally do payroll at my own desk until finding out that once my data server was upgraded that the 2008 version would no longer work. Chatted with sales at Intuit and said I could only upgrade to 2010 for $199(they don’t offer 2009 anymore even though they shipped it directly to me last Monday..go figure. That means for both of my computers I’d have to spend almost $400 plus the $79 I just spent for the 2009 version. E-bay sell 2009 for $80 including free shipping. It’s all a bunch of crap ….holding small businesses hostage for software upgrades and features not needed by most. And the payroll subscription service is just another way of holding customers hostage….I agree Intuit and Quickbooks sucks and I’m seriously thinking of looking for another accounting program. Most unhappy!

• João Camacho says:
    20 November 2009

I just want to end my trial with Intuit WebServices and there’s no way where taht can be done!
    It’s really a fantastic way of making profit with the credit card number of anyone. Intui should take care of this abuse, as police in the States and where this company has offices. It’s an ultraje!

• ricky says:
    26 November 2009

• Natalie says:
    19 December 2009

I have the Quickbooks 2009…had to call customer service to get the software registered…was on the call for 1 hour and 31 minutes…over an hour on hold because I refuse to give a credit card number for the so called service plan…I asked the non English speaking rep to transfer me to a supervisor…she refused…out right refused…thank god there are other programs out there that do what Quickbooks does…you are completely correct….Intuit SUCKS…

• Srini says:
    22 December 2009

Guess what…Paycyle is now bought by Intuit and now the service sucks. They made me redo all the direct deposit forms at the last minute when I went to do my payroll. They never sent anything in the mail stating why this had to be redone since I had direct deposit for Federal and my Payroll since 2005.

Then they asked me to fax it and would not accept email. Their fax line has been busy since yesterday and I can’t get the fax in…they tell me to “keep trying” what a disaster.

And once they get the fax for the same paperwork I sent years ago they will “reactivate” my direct depost after 48 hours. I smell a rat here…they obviously slipped something into the fine print now that Intuit owns it so they can jack up our fees later…its time to find another payroll company before the monopoly that is Intuit traps you in.

• Tech Accountant Brian says:
    22 December 2009

Just a few comments…I am an accountant and have to agree with all the comments posted. Intuit recently purchased Mint.com (in addition to Paycycle) because they more than likely saw the writing on the wall and in an effort to stay “big” will find a way to charge the end –user for those services. In regards to the recent problems regarding the updates and QB 2009, be sure to stop by my blog (http://www.bricodaily.blogspot.com/) for the latest regarding the continuing problems with the R9 update. Intuit recently released the R10 update, but that still has not resolved all the problems thus an R11 update is on the way.

Their (Intuit) business model is getting a bit old and they are moving toward an online accounting solution like QB Online Edition (thus buying Mint) for all of their service offerings. What most small business owners do not realize is there are quite a few solutions already out there and they should switch to those asap. Right now there is Netsuite, Accountants World’s Accounting Relief, Working Point and others. These solutions allow small business owners to work from anywhere (even on their smartphones) and have anytime access to their data.

My main reason for not liking Intuit is their deceptive marketing practices. Intuit plays both sides against the middle. On one end they sell to the small business owner telling them that their software is so easy that they don’t need an accountant. Then they turn around and come to us accountants and tell us that we should sign up for their Pro Advisor program so that once the small business owner screws up their books we can come in and be the savior all the while Intuit is getting money from both the small business owner and accountants. Sorry Intuit I’m not buying it. I can use your software just fine without purchasing your Pro Advisor membership and still service my clients with the highest level of professionalism and expertise. Just today in my inbox I get an e-mail from Intuit Pro Line (their new name) for a new Certified Intuit Pro Line Lacerte/Pro Series (their tax software for accountants) user training (intro cost $199/$249 after intro). This is just another way for Intuit to take money from accountants because I am sure accountants have been using their software just fine without being certified for years now. I could go on and on (esp. about how cloud accounting solutions are cheaper to implement than boxed software) but I digress.

• Lars says:
    1 January 2010

Reporting the newest on me continuing being a victim of Intuits fraud. At this time it is the end of the year and i am finishing up my payroll for 2009. As we all know the system they have is designed to either trick you, force you or in any way possible make you feel that if you dont pay for another year of so called Pay Roll service and or purchase a new version of QB, the WORLD WILL END. As of now they have my CC number and after a few hours trying to delete it, change it, remove it or in any way make the CC number not useable to prevent them to do more charges I realize they got me!!!!! When you enter your customer data files information they have on file you can see your CC number but it is impossible to change it, delete it, remove it or make it in any way unusable. So what do I do now? I have not authorized them or asked them to make any other charges to my CC than last year BS charges whish was April 2009. In a few weeks time they will charge me for another year of products that I do not want or need. One option is to cancel my CC and ask for a new card number. Another is to wait until the charge shows up then dispute it. My point is that I dont want to deal with it or do I have the time to deal with it or should I have to deal with it. Since I paid for the last year of PR service I am entitled to use what I paid for however if I cancel the service (to be able to remove the CC #) then they make the product unusable. Please all you out there who are using the Intuit products NEVER NEVER allow them to UPDATE YOUR PROGRAM even the tax tables or forms. As soon as you do they plant the BOMB in your system and when the new year rolls around your Intuit will stop functioning. I know every time you use the PR function they ask you to UPDATE your PR files it is hard to not do it cause you feel you paid for it. The problem is that you will not get any updates but rather allow them to steal data, plant BOMBS and or make your QB not working. I am leaving QB after 15 years and will go to other programs. I will get back to you and let you know what program I have decided on fopr future use. Thanks for listening and for you who still wants to use the QB bend over and then good luck to you.

Lars

• tom b says:
    17 January 2010

very annoyed, purchased an upgrade to QB 2009 in September, purchased a new laptop last month which runs on Windows 7. Ran into a couple of problems (not to be unexpected, a new version of QB – a new OS), called for help, QB teck told me there is and will be no support for QB2009 in Windows 7. For support in windows 7 my 3 month old version would have to be upgraded to QB2010 !! My first version of QB was in 1997, and I used Intuit before that. I think its a great program, and you can’t beat the price, but they are really starting to bleed us dry. Now that Microsoft money is gone, they’re going crazy.

• michelle says:
    5 February 2010

We are a small business using Quickbooks Intuit Payroll services. This week we discovered our office manager was able to steal over $20,000 since April 2008 by manipulating payroll. We hired her husband and when she set up his payroll, she set him up as hourly instead of salary. Every week she would increase the number of hours he supposedly worked – at the end it was over 90 hours in one week! Why isn’t there a trigger for these obviously bogus hours? (Of course we all know you should have your own protections against this, a second employee doing the work sometimes – but we only have one office person – etc,) We’re going to an outside PAYROLL SERVICE to ensure this cannot happen again! And we’re going to see if Intuit promises fraud protection!

• Doug SIlvester says:
    11 February 2010

I have just purchased http://www.ihateintuit.com and am ready to build a site anti Intuit. This morning i am being told i have to pay at least $79 for assistance with an error code 3371 status code 11118 that I’ve never seen. I’ve had 2010, because of Windows 7, since i bought the computer in November of 2009. never had a problem since the original installation, never called support for anything since then, now all-of-a-sudden the error and they want to charge me $79?! They’re out of their minds! I call BS!!!

• CPW says:
    20 March 2010

I hate Intuit because they charge too much to efile state tax returns in Turbotax. If a bank can make money filing an ATM transaction at $1.50, then Intuit should only need five bucks for a state tax return, especially since they already charged me for the software. Instead they want twenty bucks – that’s exhorbitant, and it’s costing our state governments extra work dealing with paper returns.

• brian says:
    25 March 2010

Wow, people are still commenting on this post. Wonder why? I have to work with qb in a production environment. The company isn’t too big (about 30 employees) with about six people using quickbooks. Let me just say the word “nightmare” hardly begins to describe my experience with qb. Crashes, lock outs, updates that break things, weirdness that defines description and on and on. Doing development work that integrates qb is even worse. I’m sure the intuit people would point to the vast numbers of people using qb as a defense of product quality, but what choice do they have? Once you get into qb it is almost impossible to get out again. And yeah, I came across your post looking for an answer to a qb problem that no one sees to know how to solve. Last upgrade I spent days fixing problems. I told the owner he should send intuit a bill for part of may salary. I would NEVER recommend their product to anyone…for any reason.

• rana says:
    26 March 2010

VERY BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE. PERIOD.

• rana says:
    26 March 2010

I PURCHASED A CHECK SCANNING MACHINE FROM INTUIT IN DEC. 09.

INTUIT DEBITED MY BANK ACCOUT FOR THE PRICE.

IN FEW DAYS, I RETURNED IT.

SINCE THEN, DEC. 09, I’VE BEEN WAITING FOR REFUND, NO LUCK.

THEY DON’T REPLY MY EMAILS.

I HAVE FINALLY FILED A COMPLAINT TO FTC, IN WASHINGTON D.C. TO CHECK THEM OUT.

• Harry Cunningham says:
    1 April 2010

I agree 100% with all the negatives about Quickbooks, now I am being forced to pay to upgrade when I don’t need to.
    Sorry Quickbooks and Intuit but I am going back to my old methods of accounting procedures. You won’t miss my business and I won’t miss your strongarm tactics om May 31st 2010 Unless the email you just sent was an April Fool’s Joke.

• Cynthia Clark says:
    1 April 2010

WHY I HATE INTUIT: Please add me to the “Quickbooks sucks” list. THEY SUCK. I’ve been using QuickBooks since ’96. The so-called “small business” bookkeeping software. I cannot even handle my very very small business. Yes, I have a multi-thousand dollars coporation! Anyway, a few years ago I was having lots of problems with QB. After many many many calls to support I was told that my data file was too big and that the only way to solve that problem was to upgrade to Enterprise Solutions to the tune of $3,000. Unforunately, I bought their mantra hook, line and sinker. After using it (and after converting the datafile)I kept on experiencing the same problems and then talked to somebody different in support who told me that Enterprise Solutions would have NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER on the pronblems I was experiencing supposedly related to a data file that was too large. Oh, great. Then come to find out that support is something like $800 a year. AND now that I have a new Windows 7 computer Enterprise Solutions IS NOT COMPATIBALE with Windows 7 and, golly, gosh, they had a “deal” for me. It would only cost $2,500 to upgrade to Enterprise Soltuions 9.0. What a deal! They can suck eggs.

• Tim O says:
    29 April 2010

I have been using QB since 1996. It USED to be a good product…..now, they want to nickel and dime you for everything. I’m sure the professional accountants are happy because it’s almost necessary for them to have all the bells and whistles but us small businesses just need the same feature-rich product it used to be. I am certainly looking to find a product where I can import my QBW/QBB files and run from Intuit. When they say IN-TO-IT….they mean into your pockets….over and over.

If anybody uses ZoneAlarm you would be surprised how often QB tries to “phone home” through the back door.

• Harry Cunningham says:
    3 May 2010

I agree 100% INTUIT and Quick Books are rip-off scam artists.
    There technical support stinks, their telephone wait time is far too long.
    I do not need to to or want to upgrade but I am forced to if I wish to keep
    my billing system using Quick Books and I am locked out of my system.
    We will just revert back to our old accounting methods and billing system
    Quick Books can shove it where the sun don’t shine.
    Harry Cunningham

• John says:
    10 May 2010

I hate Intuit too! I was forced to upgrade to new versions of QB year after year, just to download my credit card charges. Nothing new to the software at all! If you add TurboTax to the picture, it’s even worse. Now I upgraded to QB 2010, but need to file tax with an old version TurboTax Business and it does not work! There is no way to convert my 2010 company file to an old version. Intuit just creates numerous impossibles and problems for their customers, with no other purposes but to get more money from them. This process never ends…..

• codewize says:
    15 August 2010

I’ve been using QB for years and I only have one question. Why the hell does it take so long to open? At this point I’m running QB Pro 2008 on a brand new Intel Quad core Xeon 3520 with 6GB of DDR3 1333 Mhz RAM and a 10,000 PRM hard drive under Win 7 64 Bit. The program still takes more than 3 minutes to open.

If I watch the resources everything just sits at 0% or close to it the entire time. Until the very last second then there’s a spike on 1 core to about 60% and a blip on the network to about 30%.

What the hell is the program doing the rest of the time I’m waiting?

If there were a cost efective alternative I’d have switched years ago.

• D Blase says:
    29 August 2010

I love this blog. In-between trying to get QB 2008 Pro to work on my new Win 7 machine (it doesn’t- tried run as administrator, run in compatibility mode, etc etc ) the posts of your horror stories cheered me up a little. It’s not just ME!

On top of the incompatible versions and seemingly endless upgrades (extortions), just facing the UI and trying to get anything done is worse than getting a root canal for me.

I taught myself how to run the audio editing program ProTools and figured out how to build computers from parts, started my own investigative agency which is now a successful business— but the labyrinthine maze of this ironically-named “Quick” books makes me want to give up my business and go back to being an employee. Well, almost.

Thank you-all for sharing your tales of the Stepford Horror that is this awful software.

OH and the Intuit Corporate apologists on here= just priceless!

• Calvin says:
    30 August 2010

Intuit was nice enough to hold my parents financial records hostage in an attempt to force them to upgrade to the newer version, despite them not needing any of the new “features.” In my opinion, it was nothing short of extortion. In a nutshell, my parents downloaded the updated forms package for Quickbooks to allow them to do automated W-2’s for the tax year for their small business. When they did so, the software generated the forms, but it also locked them out from accessing their Quickbooks until they updated to the newest version to match the year of W-2 forms. Nice, eh? So they called Intuit and they were nice enough to say that the only way they could ever access the records again was to update Quickbooks….the W-2 add-ons could not be uninstalled. They were not happy. Luckily, the backup of their records was up to date, so I merely uninstalled the software and reinstalled it (sans the new forms). Funny tech support wasn’t “smart enough” to figure this out.

Plain and simple, Inuit’s business model is “how can we get more money from our customers without doing anything else to earn it.” And if they can’t “market” their way to it…what’s a little extortion gonna hurt? Lord knows they never say another dime from our family. Well, that’s not true. We did buy TurboTax once when we were getting more back from Intuit than we paid for it. We threw it away and used a competitor’s product.

• Jim Keil says:
    10 September 2010

I used QB Pro for many years, and found it to be very useful. I didn’t use it for about 4 years and am trying to go back to it (unfortunately, I already bought it). All I want to do is to use it and save it to my own flash drive, and everytime I go to open it, I have to go through phone calls, running QB tool, etc., etc.. I agree with an earlier poster. Once I get it open it is a long series of “buy this” “add this.” In my opinion, it has become a piece of junk!

• Steve Griff says:
    13 October 2010

Intuit has a new scam!!
    Although I have not used Quicken in almost a year I noticed today, two charges on my bank account
    10/04/2010 Other PERSONAL FINANCE SOFTWARE MONTHLY SERVICE FEE $5.95
    This was on there twice, total $11.90 set as a monthly charge. $5.95 twice because I had an old and new version of Quicken.
    I called the bank to see if they were now charging for my online backing or if this was a third party charge. Found if you ever used Quicken, even in the past and have not canceled Intuit as of August, is now charging your bank account for a service that I no longer use.
    In this case the charges would be $142.80 a year, what a low rent scam.
    I called the bank and they candled Intuit and credited my account.
    Check yours!

• HARE REPAIR INC. says:
    23 November 2010

I FEEL CHEATED BY INTUIT, THEY WILL DOUBLE BILL YOUR ACCOUNT, YOU WILL GET IT BACK , BUT FOR A WEEK OR SO THEY HAVE STOLEN YOU MONEY. VERY UNHAPPY WITH INTUIT, WILL BE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE ELSE, MAYBE PEACHTREE.

• Karlysle Book & Paper Conservation says:
    9 December 2010

Although I have not encountered some of the above mentioned pet peeves, I do agree that Intuit is a scam. I bought my basic program in 2007 and here recently the email link to send invoices to bill customers with has been discontinued. I am being forced to buy a new updated version to get this feature returned. If you bought a 2007 model car and in 2008 they updated some features and your 2007 model no longer had parts available. Bad scenario but you get the drift. The old phrase for this is Indian giver. They are strong arming me, stealing. Their entire program is so manipulative in so many ways that they must have hired Bill Gate himself to compose the program. Well, I could say a bit more but the question is what to do about it. Any solid ideas?

• Dan says:
    3 January 2011

how about the payroll update. originally was $35 a year to update the tables that hardly ever change, then had to update the payroll program $150, then the payroll would no longer work with that version of quickbooks , new quickbooks $199, then payroll yearly update went to $199, now its up to $299. the only thing updated is the tax tables that the irs give free. total rip off. Im now looking to change software

• Barbara says:
    7 January 2011

Oh yeah, how about the payroll update. $299 is cheap, only available if you are a “small business” with 3 or fewer employees. If you have more than 3 employees, its $374 a year, but “you get an unlimited number of employees”!! Well, with only 5 employees, the $75 difference sucks!! It’s outrageous and certainly not “small business friendly”. Intuit needs to rethink their “small business” ideas and get in touch with reality. And on top of all that it’s virtually impossible to get an email to anyone at Intuit who may have the slightest inkling to review the policy!! They really need to get knocked down to size!

• Ray says:
    14 January 2011

I am in the same boat as Dan (above). I’ve been using QuickBooks since 1993, and I too am absolutely furious about the jump from $35 per year to over $200 for the tax updates. I am forced to upgrade the program every 2 years when I would have been perfectly happy with my old QuickBooks 1997 version. With only one or two employees at any one time, the ’97 version had all the features I required. But Intuit claims that, not only are they going to charge us $250 a year for tax updates, you can’t use the new tax file unless you spend an additional $200 every two years and upgrade to the newer version of the program!….whether you need it or not!
    I am also furious that Intuit has taken away a feature that I had for many years (and already paid for!)…the ability to print out employee W-2 forms on plain paper for my only employee. They now want me to pay an additional $200 per year for a feature I already had. They somehow went into my computer and REMOVED a feature from my software that I already paid for years ago! That is criminal!!! Where is the Federal Trade Commission when you need them? Perhaps they should be reading some of these comments!! Maybe I’ll be contacting them since my blood is really starting to boil now!!!

• Ray says:
    14 January 2011

Lars,
    Count me in on that Class Action Law Suit!

• Sean says:
    17 January 2011

The Co.’s selling door to door for Intuit are a scam as well. They lie from the very beginning, straight to individuals, and small business’. Co.’s such as Moxy or Keen Marketing and MMI Marketing in Pittsburgh, PA. Also, in the D.C. area, a Co. named East Coast Innovations is pulling the same scam on it’s customers. Both are pulling an employment scam in both these states, just to top off the deceit. The Manager is Ashley Allen.
    …All their customers would be in your class Action!

• Raquel says:
    19 January 2011

Count me in on that Class Action Law Suit as well. I am mad that there is no other option, or is there? We have 4 employees and are paying way to much. And if I switch my quickbooks over to mac, then I lose the ability to pay my own employees and I would have to pay Intuit even more.

• Dennis says:
    25 January 2011

Quickbooks could be a good program, for the most part it works well but I also hate the lack of support. Their idea of “you’ll have to upgrade we no longer support” your three year old version is criminal. If I buy a program that doesn’t work it is their job to provide the fix. I want to know where to go for another accounting program.

• Wayne Morgan says:
    14 February 2011

This deceit doesn’t stop with quickbooks but is also with their web hosting and merchant service programs. The software they use for a storefront is just prostores licensed from ebay. WordPress doesn’t work there without an iframe. When I transferred my hosting to a new provider, precisionweb.net, the merchant services wont work. The shopping cart clearly has them listed as a supported provider, yet you get an error message. When called they say they can’t help me, try to sell me their hosting program again, and send me to a developer site to write my own solution. These dishonest people should be put out of business.

I don’t know if this works for your businesses as mine is quite small but I use a free program called Gnucash.

• Casey says:
    19 February 2011

I am in with the class action as well. The last thing they care about is small business. I think its a great program until its time for an update, a backup, support, and they also manipulate the supposed ” quick books experts” because i’ve talked to two of them and they say. “You should really buy the support program” And as far as the backup, they are stupid, to not sell the backup that you didn’t purchase to you when you need it for a huge profit. They just won’t give it to you, but i’m sure they have it. They can take over your computer from millions of miles away but they dont’ have any backup for what happened. I say bullshit. They paint a great picture, try to sell 3-4 things a day and refuse to help or care when you have a problem. Typical big business. Its too bad small business really helped when it coudl. I’m a huge backer on a class action. A good step would be a contact at the I r s to see how many complaints they get about it. I don’t know. My opinion.

• Crispin says:
    21 February 2011

Please count me in on the class action as well. From the sunsetting of features to the payroll scams to the blackmailing that is “tech support” to the stupendously poor and buggy UI and feature set that you can’t even report bugs on without paying through the nose, Intuit is gouging us.

I work in software development and I have never dealt with a worse product nor company in my life.

• RON says:
    9 March 2011

I Have been using quickbooks for at least 10 years. I too am unhappy with costly upgrades. It seems to me that the early versions did not need any upgrades. I use the payroll version and believe I used to manualy adjust for taxes. Of course I did not keep those versions but think an old version may be the answer. Class action sounds like a great idea!

Is Peachtree any better?

• Bruce says:
    4 April 2011

This happened to me with QB 2001 and I swore I would never buy it again, however, in the 08 brochure, they said that the emails were independent and we could always email invoices. I just received a notice that ….yup, as of May, we will no longer email your invoices. NEVER AGAIN WILL THEY GET ANY MONEY FROM ME!

• Connie says:
    6 April 2011

Count me in that class action lawsuit…I hate QB…I used to be able to ignore their updates, as I knew their updates would disable my “old version”…I had to start using their Assisted Payroll…part of that submission automatically includes updating. Lovely. (I was able to hang onto a version for almost 3yrs…which didn’t make much sense, because I finally had to buy for that yr anyway, because the next yr hadn’t been released.) The whole point here, being…I held onto my money longer.

• Connie says:
    6 April 2011

Me again, forget to mention, to “small” company owners out there:
    The newest QB scam is they are bloating your files in QB. My little company file is now 105,000+MG. I was told that I need to by QB Enterprize because my small company of 4 employees is too big for QB to handle…and that my QB program would cease to work soon. Criminal!

• John Lee says:
    11 April 2011

Intuit is Satan and their products are his evil minions, dedicated to spreading misery and suffering to the world.

Today, after using up the 30 day trial of ISW in QB Premier 2010, I clicked the “Buy Now on the Internet” button – where I proceeded to purchase a license for $49.95. But, guess what – surprise surprise – the license did not work. So, I dialed up customer support – and honestly, don’t know what language the person I was speaking with was speaking. After about 20 minutes of being on hold and being shuffled between a few well meaning asian folk, I was told that in order to help me install the license that I just purchased from them – I would need to buy a customer support contract. Hell no. So, I call the Pro-advisor line. They shuffled me off to sales, where I was told that the license (that I purchased from my 2010 software, mind you) was for QB 2011. In order to get the license for 2010 – I was going to need to pony up another $70. So, I had to spend 2 hours of my life installing QB 2011 and upgrading a few files – just to spite the blood sucking devil ass vampire bastards.

Intuit sucks.

• Jerry Brown says:
    5 May 2011

I have been using QB since 1995 and absolutely hate the changes. The latest way QB’s has found to rip users off; the 3 year MD process. I have the 08 version and I get a message my payroll wont work after May. So ok we’ll get the 2011 payroll version. It gets better, for the 2011 payroll version you must upgrade to QB 2011. OK, so I will upgrade, but wait I have a 3 license version and now I must rebuy a new 2011, 3 license version at like $640. NOW I AM MAD!!!! You already have to buy a new payroll subscription every year and the price keeps going up. RIP OFF!!!

I already purchased the right to a 3 version license, it is obsolete every 3 years with QB business model, this should be stated prior to anyone purchasing QB. HERE IS A REASON FOR A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT! They sell you a product that automatically goes obsolete in 3 years without letting you know. If the product is worthless after 3 years and requires a purchase like buying it new, they should have to tell you, make sure you are aware, sign a 3 year contract prior to purchase.

I hate this deceptive marketing, this is such an unscrupulous business practice. If I treated my customers like this, I would not have many customers.

If anyone has found a good accounting software program, let me know as I would love to dump these thieves!

Jb1111@hotmail.com

Jerry Brown

• Kris says:
    9 June 2011

I have used Quickbooks Pro since 1996. As the years go by I get angrier and angrier at their practices.They force me to buy their so called annual payroll updates, the last one was $332!!! Then they forced me to upgrade the program every 3 years!!! Now they are saying the $332 payroll update is “standard” and I need an upgrade that will go with the QB 2011!!! As near as I can tell QB 2011 is identical to QB 2008!!!Their phone staff all have heavy accents which works in Intuit’s favor because you cannot understand their justifications and you finally just give up and hang up in frustration. Companies like Intuit are what is wrong with America today, we are getting nickel and dimed to death. Someone PLEASE write a competitive program PLEASE. Class action suit, I am so IN!!!

• Kerri Schuh says:
    9 July 2011

I am a professional bookkeeper that uses QuickBooks Premier Accountants version. I have to purchase it every year, but I keep the old versions so my clients don’t have to. It is true that every few years you will have to upgrade your QuickBooks software if you are using QuickBooks Payroll, but I think you will find that is true for all bookkeeping software. I offer a payroll sevice that charges at least $60 a month. That is $720 at year, so upgrading QuickBooks payroll every couple of years doesn’t seem like such a bad deal. Also, there is a way to turn the popup ads in QuickBooks off in the preferences.

• Irina says:
    20 July 2011

I will be happy to be in class action. Today my bank informed me that I can’t upload my transaction into QB 2008 PRO because they don’t support it any more. So I must buy a new version. But new version is worse than 2008. In general QB is a bad software taling too much PC resourses for almost nothing. Also when we buy software Intuit doesn’t tell us that it is for limited period of time. We don’t buy right to use (like with NORTON) we buy software that MUST work as long as we need. Also they started to order banks to stop service on old versions – it is absolutely illegal.

• Jamison says:
    24 August 2011

Got the same thing from my bank…doesn’t support QB 2008 WHAT BS! Intuit has us all by the balls…what is this, cold war USSR? 2008 works great! I run a small business, accounting doesn’t change year to year! Inventory is inventory, receivables are receivables! I join you all in general annoyance at Intuit!

• Jamison says:
    24 August 2011

I just made a new website for the purposes of bringing quickbooks and peachtree issues to light, and to voice our general dissatisfaction with these products. I’d love your comments on there, as well as suggestions and any advice. It’s http://www.intuitsucks.com.

• Ronald Court says:
    30 August 2011

Am fuming mad that QB for Mac doesn’t do whatever the “good” QB for Windows does. Try finding out what features are lacking, or which reports you can’t get from an accountant or (even a “QB certified”) bookkeeper, and either they don’t know, or won’t tell you.
    I’ve come to the conclusion that QB’s “business model is to treat users like mushrooms (keep them in the dark while feeding them sh*t).

QB’s ‘business model’ has to be to keep things so complicated that you still need to hire bookkeepers. And bookkeepers, because their careers depend on accounting being so complicated that you need them, love QB in return. So bookkeepers recommend QB, and once we’ve gone that route, it’s like we’ve entered the roach motel. Try getting data out so you can migrate to other software.

I can’t wait to move to NolaPro and will take however long it takes transcribe records into it to escape the da*n QB for Mac.

• Lory says:
    9 November 2011

Quickbooks and Intuit are very shady! I have had the fancy enterprise version for only 1 year and it cost thousands of dollars. They told me when I bought it that I would get a free 2012 upgrade and it would last my company forty years. But I just started receiving calls to upgrade and renew for a small $850. She explained that if I did not upgrade every year, in three years quickbooks would stop working properly and I would have to buy new softwear for thousands of dollars. I was under the impression that I purchased software not a subscription for a period of time!!!I hate them. Thier support sucks too!

• Brenda says:
    29 November 2011

very hard to cancel, feels like a rat race around a maze. don’t buy it!!!!

• Conover Smith says:
    6 February 2012

Apparently in November 2010, after talking with a software developer friend who works at Intuit I signed on to a trial of their on-line bookkeeping services.
    Not comfortable with the renowned lack of support that Intuit has for Apple computers, and the fact that I have run Mac offices for years, I decided to not utilize the Intuit offering.
    I Never logged into, or used the trial, or the service in any way.
    Reviewing my credit card billings for tax season, I noticed that Intuit was billing me $12.95 a month, and had been for well over a year.
    No notice of these billings was made, and at no time did I log onto the site.
    Upon calling the 800 number for Intuit service, it took 30 frustrating minutes to cancel my “account”, and was told that only the last one month of charges was refundable.
    I have to warn anyone who might consider using an Intuit product that the business practices of this company is well below normal, and is in my mind criminal.

• IntuitequalsCRAP says:
    8 February 2012

I sampled quick books trial for 1 month, cancelled it, they billed me again the next month then I called again to re-cancel it as they couldn’t get it right the first time.

I just caught they have been billing me $39.95 for “online merchant services Credit card processing” for the past 2 years (24 months total) which I never consented to and have never used it, never asked for it, never was told I would be billed $39.95 a month and now im fighting to get my $958 back + $350 in overdraft fees from my bank.

I say we bring a suit against the fucks and get a mob of people who they have scammed too. I know there’s thousands of people out there too.

• FCUKINTUIT says:
    8 February 2012

Please please please count me in on the classaction suit. I was just reseraching parties who have been secretly billed for services they trialed and cancelled but were continually billed. It has been over 2 years in my case a and cost me over $1,300 for NOTHING!!!!!

This is the biggest scam company in the world!!!

• FCUKINTUIT says:
    8 February 2012

Contact me for CLASSACTION SUIT AGAINST INTUIT!!!!

• Roger Davies says:
    23 February 2012

I agree Intuit are a terrible company to deal with, having cancelled my support subscription back in November which they forced me to take out because I needed help with VAT rate adjustments, it has suddenly reappeared on my statement today some 4 months later. You call them up and get put through to India which is awful, and they say they will get back to you and dont. I will never choose to deal with this company again. I have used quickbooks since 1995 and have never once had a satisfactory experience dealing with them, i might even change to sage the next time i have to buy something from them. choose Sage instead and save yourself some headaches.

• michael peachey says:
    8 March 2012

Quicken has cost me thousands of dollars. Their software allowed my office manager, bookkeeper to steal $85,000 and hide it because quickbooks allows you to change entries without leaving evidence. Very unprofessional. And I don’t understand why they will not support older versions and now threaten to discontinue service to me because I won’t upgrade. I don’t need their upgrade nor their free offers.

• Rob says:
    23 March 2012

I’m using Quickbooks 2009. It does more than I need and can handle. I’m not an accountant. I’m a small business.

Now I got this drug-dealer-mafia-like “extortion” letter from Intuit.
    Online access will seize come May 2012.

Reading the “new” and Improved” “Features” I can say it is ripe for an Darwin Award of legalized empty upgrade scams!

Their official response (e.g. Amazon Reviews)as to why applying this attitude and concept amounts to about this:

For example, Microsoft would have to force you to upgrade Windows otherwise you can’t go online any longer since they have to make sure it “works with all ISP’s and websites”…?

Another example applying this Intuit concept: Ford GM or Toyota “force” you to “upgrade” to a new car ever three years reasoning that it has to be compatible with all the different brands and makes of gas, oil and what have you aftermarket 3rd party Mfg. items… If not you can’t drive faster than 25mph and only can gas up at Shell and only premium…
    Yeah right!
    Nobody would put up with that. The FTC would be on their case swiftly.

This is what you get when corporations have an uncontrolled unregulated free run.
    They start to run your life literally.

Again, read what actually is improved in the 2012 version has very little to do with accounting!

I think it is time to start contacting the FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection about these highly questionable unfair business practices.

• Roberta says:
    9 May 2012

“Now I got this drug-dealer-mafia-like “extortion” letter from Intuit.
    Online access will seize come May 2012.
    I should fork over another $ 300 and something so I can do what I need to do and have been doing?? This is pure coercion.”
    ABSOLUTELY TRUE!

QB is the only software in the planet that does not allow a new version of the software to work with older version without forcing you to save the old file in the new version. I’m extremely irate at this company. I want to use Accountant 2012 so I can reduce the size of the file created in Premier 2011. YOU CAN’T! Unless you update that 2011 file to 2012, then we HAVE TO BUY the Premier 2012 3-user, for a whopping $800-$900!!! We already PAID that much in the first place for the software… I HATE INTUIT TOO.

• joe says:
    28 June 2012

How do they have an A+ rating at the BBB? Lets change that. Hit them where it hurts. What about a viral video like “United Breaks Guitars?”

• Pat Lucking says:
    27 September 2012

I used to like Quickbooks but I don’t like the strong arming and the three year requirement to renew. Interesting the size of file excuse they give for people who are having problems which when upgraded makes no difference. I feel lucky we never went for that explanation. I am worried about the future of my data.

• Frustrated in Kenya says:
    11 December 2012

Sooooo….. When our company opened in 2005 we purchased Quickbooks Pro 2005 (Multi-Currency) only to find out that we could not upgrade for 5 YEARS because they had removed Multi-Currency from ALL forms until the 2010 VERSION! So we patiently waited….. and Upgraded to Premier 2010 Version x3 Users…..

Imagine my surprise when I tried to add ONE user to my license to be told that they are no longer selling user licenses to add onto the systems because we need to upgrade to 2013 version?? So instead of approx 300 pounds… to add one user.. they would like me to upgrade x4 users at over 1200 pounds??? So ONCE again Quickbooks you have gotten me! 2005 screwed me for 5 years… and now I have to Share a User and Log Out because YOU have decided that I need to Upgrade! Amazing! I shall be looking for better software!

• fretts@gmail.com says:
    11 January 2013

Just buy Quickbooks with a credit card you are about to retire. Cancel the support subscription and then cancel the credit card. Let their conveniently predatory methods fold back on themselves. Maybe they will implode. Maybe Peachtree will match into town and make everything safe for bookkeeping.

• eryn says:
    22 January 2013

I am so frustrated with Intuit. I already purchase their desktop version for mac. After I upgraded my mac, their software no longer works on my new machine. So after contacting them and them telling me that I would just have to buy their new version for Mac, I decided that I would try their online version, as I didn’t have the cash to payout for the software in full at that time.

I haven’t logged into Quickbooks in s few months (I’m not very up to date with my bookkeeping). Now Quickbooks online want to charge me the back payments for the months I have missed, even though I haven’t used their service… which is crappy, but I can kind of understand. What I’m most irritated about is now that I have the cash to repurchase their new desktop version that will actually run on my computer, I can’t get the online version to correctly download my files. Quickbooks, claims I have to use Internet Explorer to correctly download my files, but every time I go to my online account in the IE browser their site causes it to crash.

Very unhappy with how this company treats people who have already purchased their software and how hard they make it for you to leave their monthly paid online service when you want to leave. I honestly hate Intuit – very bad company to deal with as a consumer.

• Jon says:
    6 February 2013

It’s funny because it’s true. Thanks for reminding me how much I hate this software and why I stopped recommending it to clients.

• Mark says:
    25 February 2013

NEVER BUY QUICKBOOKS FOR PAYROLL.
    Every three years your version is changed and they will not support the older ones. This means more wasted money upgrading and another $500.00 for tax information. Your old system will merely stop taking taxes out and you can not upgrade your tax information. They just stop supporting you as a customer. There will be no notices of this. You will spend endless hours on the phone with someone in the Philippines trying to figure what happened and them trying to sell you upgrades. If you are a small business this product is not for you. Unless you have deep pockets to waist money. It is a big rip off. Run the other way.

• Marilene says:
    2 March 2013

I too am having multiple problems with Inuit. They have been withdraing money from my account monthly even though I keep stopping the service that I didn’t sign up for. They keep saying I will ge a full refund in two days but only have recieved 2 months refund. They are predatory. It’s disgusting!

• Seth says:
    13 March 2013

Wow, I hate Intuit!! I went searching for a place to tell the world how much I hate Intuit, this will have to do. I have hated intuit for over 2 years now but it has reached a point that I just can’t stand it anymore. It’s really just the company I hate not the product. I really like the product they offer, it is very robust and customize-able but with that comes it is very complicated and confusing. So, with that said, one would expect top notch customer support, BUT WAIT! This is where intuit falls off the face of the earth, “hello is anyone down there?” If there is someone down there I guarantee you they are from India and can’t really understand what you are trying to tell them. They might know the words you are speaking to them but they don’t truly understand them. This situation makes for a real nightmare for the customer on the other end of the phone who just wants to fix the issue at hand and move on. Not to mention it’s hard to understand them as well. It takes me on average 6 minutes just to navigate the stupid call prompts before I am put on hold for another 45 minutes just to reach someone who doesn’t really understand me. If you want my advise intuit, fix your customer service. Your customer service is by far, the absolute worst. What I am trying to say is, even Verizon’s terrible customer service comes no where even remotely close to being as horrendous as your customer service, it’s down right insulting!! I could really go on for days and be very specific but I am not going to waist anymore of my time. Intuit, YOU SUCK! I HATE YOU!

• carla Panetta says:
    14 March 2013

I wish I new that when I paid for a new version of Quickbooks it was only going to last a lousy 3 years, until Quickbooks stopped supporting it with payroll service downloads. FRAUD!! Who do we write to? Nationally?

• Carla Panetta says:
    14 March 2013

What is a good alternative for small business?

• Sean says:
    20 March 2013

You want to help? Tell us how to turn off the flags in your software which start throwing errors when you support expires. My bank didn’t change their software, so why does my reconciliation function stop? Con Artists, going to try Peatchtree next year. That will fix it. . . maybe.

• Dan says:
    23 April 2013

Thank you Tracy for this Quickbooks rant. You saved me the time and energy of writing one myself. Maybe the Intuit employees would like to chime in again now that this post is 4 years old already, and the same scam still exists.

I just opened my 2010 version only to discover that Online Banking feature will no longer work in a few weeks unless I upgrade. I’ve already been forced to upgrade 2 or 3 times now over the years, and this is all I can stand.

• Patrick says:
    24 April 2013

Tracy – You couldn’t be more correct. I’ve been running business and helping small businesses get off the ground and some CPA usually suggests that my clients use QB. I can’t understand why. QB, with all their different versions, sells itself as an accounting/business system and it’s barely an accounting system. Not a worse product or company on the planet.

• Ed says:
    15 May 2013

Try Express Accounts, from http://www.nchsoftware.com. Less than $100, does almost everything that QB does, and you can access it on your computer via a browser on another computer. Nice program.

• Dan says:
    16 May 2013

I am convinced Quickbooks has designed their software to only work for a while and then force us to upgrade. I have 2007Pro. I only use it as a check register. Nothing more. In 2010, it said I needed an Admin password when I never assigned a password. I finally got them to reset my PW at no charge. At that time I put in a PW and wrote it in my notes. Used it no problem for guess what- 3 yrs. Yesterday it did the same thing. Spent 45 min on phone with “technical support” while they tried to upgrade me the whole time. I think this is a scam and someone needs to file a CLASS ACTION lawsuit against these guys.

• QB hater in Canada says:
    30 May 2013

4 year old thread and still getting hate posts about Intuit / QB. Tells you a lot!
    I just bought a new computer so re-installed QB2012 Pro. Of course I then had to call them to activate it. Guy in the call centre notices that we’ve installed it on 2 other computers, which is true. 3 people in my company access QB with a single data file stored on a local file server, but only one at a time. We’ve been using it like this for many years with no problem and understood that this was fine under the single-user license terms.
    We pay $33/mth (incl tax). Guy on the phone tells me that when we upgrade to 2013 (which will be mandatory to get the payroll updates), if they detect that the software is installed on more than one computer they will deactivate ALL instances.
    He was nice enough to offer me a discounted 3-license deal for only $80/mth (plus tax). $960/yr to use their software.
    Screw them. I’m going to install one version on a virtual machine and give remote access to all that need it.
    These guys are hoodlums, but I can’t find a viable alternative…

• iLoatheQuickbooks says:
    13 June 2013

I’ve been using QuickBooks Pro 2010 since, well, 2010. At some point in early 2013, I foolishly decided to run their AUTO-UPDATE despite not needing any app updates or data updates such as tax info. Every since the update completed, I now receive a NAG prompt that says I can no longer import QBO files which I downloaded from Bank of America. Mind you, I’ve been importing these QBO bank transactions without any issues over the last 2+ years. The NAG prompt says I need to UPGRADE to PRO 2013, if I want to continue importing. This is complete BS, as the import still works despite the untruthful scare tactic.

There’s something about the timeframe that I’ve witnessed before with QB Pro; approx. every 2 years the system starts throwing a fit and prompting to upgrade … for importing bank transactional data, for sending emails using PDF, etc. In regard to emailing invoices via PDF, it’s actually a SIMPLE configuration change, to continue using that service once the NAG prompts begin: http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/Articles/SLN41687

Here’s an Intuit page which outlines the very SCAM being discussed in this post: http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/articles/INF12842

My recommendation: Switch to Microsoft Small Business Accounting – unequivocally better than QuickBooks 2013.

Intuit’s QuickBooks should be instead named QuickCrooks. **Consumer Affairs** has nearly 250 complaints, as of Jun 2013: See here http://www.consumeraffairs.com/computers/intuit_quickbooks.html

• zquiet says:
    20 June 2013

Good day! Do you know if they make any plugins to safeguard against hackers?

I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard on.

Any tips?

• Eyegal says:
    2 July 2013

I am just steamed right now. For the last few weeks when I do payroll a box keeps coming up telling me that my payroll tax tables would be out of date as of July 1/13. I just figured that I would be getting an automated update but nooooooooooooo. So when I didn’t get the update to do this week’s payroll I called Intuit to find out what was going on & was told that I have to update my Contractor 2012 version to 2013 & start paying 70.00 per month instead of 28.25 per month to continue my payroll service. What a ripoff!!! I was never told when I purchased the program one year ago, yes one, that I would have to upgrade in a year & the payroll service would almost triple or I would have never bought the program in the first place. Is Simply Accounting still available & does anyone have any insight about this program if it is??

• Many Years says:
    30 October 2013

I have been on QuickBooks since the DOS days. I am feed up with their over priced payroll. QB is easy but they’re pricing themselves out of business and making everybody angry!!!!!!
    Has anyone found a comparable product without outrageous payroll fees for 4-5 employees?

• Chad Bordeaux says:
    2 November 2013

Tracey,
    Great post…and yes, I agree with all of the quoted suckage above. We just made the jump to Xero and absolutely love it. I am so happy that there is finally a viable competitor to QB.

• Lucille Anderson says:
    27 November 2013

I’ve used Quickbooks from it’s very beginning! I’m 70 years old and self-employed I’ve seen the constant upgrades, and some of them were fine – better. I’ve loved it and what it has offered. But I’m at a stage in my life when I can’t cope with things that are constantly changing for no reason. My QB records go back to the 1990’s somewhere, but I’am now 70 years old and my mind doesn’t adjust well to the constant changes. I feel like I’m being ‘hijacked’/raped, whether I like it or not. I had nothing but praise for QB’s before, now I have nothing but loathing. I’m now looking for something that’s constant as far as functionality, I like some of the changes, but I don’t like being held hostage. Shame on you quickbooks! I’m severly saddened that there may come a time when I can’t run my business expeditiously because of their money grubbing. They hijack your computer to force you to buy the upgrade and you can no longer process your work – like a heroin dealer would treat you! If they’re so money hungry, why can’t they sell you the software and take themselves out of the ballgame until YOU decide you want another edition. Feeling Raped!

• Fed Up says:
    26 December 2013

We have used quickbooks for many, many years. Each and EVERY year they overcharge us. Several years they have overdrawn our bank acconts because the “accidently” charged our account twice. We were forced to buy two licenses plug a payroll subscription. One year I was on the phone with them for 6 hours straight trying to get this issue resolved. This year, I told them I only wanted to purchase the payroll subscription. I reapeatedly asked the rep if this was going to be the only charge….yes she replied….until I got my statement which included a $214.00 VERSION PROTECTION! I called and spoke with mulitiple poeple and finally “Jane” was going to issue me a refund and give me a 20% discount. 30 days later…. I have officially been on the phone for over an hour inquiring why Jane didn’t give me my money back. One representive transfered me to someone else during my conversation with her….basically hanging up on me. Now I am speaking to someone and they gave me a confirmation number of my refund…I aked how much is my refund? Can’t tell me…he doesn’t know!! It is simple! How can they not know…then he tells me they will charge me for the usage for the last two months. So they aren’t going to refund the full amount then they are going to charge me AGAIN for the payroll subcribtion! How is this not fraudlant?

• Angella says:
    11 February 2014

I have loathed quickbooks since I first started using it for some of my clients in the 90’s. I was amazed, then, at the quickbooks arrogance in demanding you pay a fee to use their payroll service. It’s the law don’tcha know. The law, actually, is that you must deduct appropriate taxes from the cheque using current tables – not that you pay quickbooks for the tables.

Now, after years away from small business, I find that, in spite of having NO trackability, quickbooks is one of the most popular programs out there???? And they charge THOUSANDS of dollars every year for their piece of crap program? And, of course, their one redeeming quality – their search and reporting function – is not nearly as good as it used to be.

Why in the hell are small business owners using this piece of crap program?

• Derek Keith says:
    13 February 2014

Tracy – are you aware of the damage your company does to small businesses – I have had a horrible service from Intuit or Quickbooks in the UK. They offered a deal which I took them up on they invoiced me twice and failed to respond to emails. I am now taking the time and trouble to transfer all my data over to another platform. They just want to steal your money out of your account and ignore requests for credit. A horrible company

• Alex says:
    16 March 2014

I really hate Intuit. I use their TurboTax product and Quicken. I’ve never seen so many intrusive and abusive advertising in a paid product. As if doing tax is not painful enough! Their Quicken product expired every 3 years (it disabled the transaction download from your own bank). I would happily pay for another alternative even if it means I have to pay more. I held on to Microsoft Money for many years but they finally folded. Now I understand why it’s so dangerous for a company to gain monopoly. This is a case where a government should intervene. Write to your senator to complaint about their monopoly!

• T. Reed says:
    18 March 2014

These clowns keep placing Intuit transactions from Turbo Tax and Quicken on my checking acct. I have never done business with these companies. This is pure fraud. I have 5 trans pending which will be taken from my acct tomorrow for over $500.00! Notified my bank but said they couldn’t stop the transactions, but would dispute the charges AFTER they had my money. Somethings wrong when you notify bank of fraud before it happens and they let it continue. I’m so mad I can’t see straight.

• Unproncble says:
    10 May 2014

Yup, Tracy even in 2oo9 when you began this thread you were bang on correct. I’ve also been a user since the 1990s and back then I thought QB was the greatest thing since sliced bread. But in the last 10 years, I’d say they are worse than stale bread. Talk about the nickel and diming! Yow!

I only up-grade every other year….Just did the up-grade from 2011 to 2013 only because at the end of this month the QB Email feature I depend upon heavily will be going bye-bye.

But now I find….a feature that was originally free….then became a $5/year charge….now will cost me over $180/year if all I want is just that feature. I have to sign up for crap I don’t want, don’t need, and will never use just for that one feature which at one time was free. I didn’t mind the $5/year charge but this is just too much already.

Ergh!!!!

• South African says:
    15 May 2014

Damn quickbooks. The shit I have to go through to upgrade my 2006 data file to 2014. Then I get the damn thing right but the whole VAT is fucked up! WTF.

Include an upgrade disk that will upgrade the file for the new version. How many people are using old versions of Quickbooks still. I see they remove the column that shows the VAT for each item.

I think I need to ditch Quickbooks for Pastel.

• Tom says:
    16 May 2014

I have hated Quicken for over a decade now. I started with Quicken sometime in the 90’s when it was a slightly more capable version of Microsoft Money. However, I was forced to upgrade to Quicken 2012 last year and this year, 2014, has been the worst experience ever. I don’t believe the software is optimized for Windows 8.1, or something, because backups go somewhere never to be seen again, and wipe out recently entered data as well.
    I WILL NOT use Quicken again. I don’t care if I have to make my own spreadsheet.

• Carl says:
    23 May 2014

Maybe I’m on the wrong thread, but my beef has to do with the audit trail being switchable – on and off on the QB 2003 version. I understand the subsequent versions don’t allow this as an audit trail is for proof of activity, not some happy numbers.

My bookkeeper also has issues with payroll and the inability to send invoices from QB – all in an effort to get us to ugrade – that’s a different story – here’s mine.

I had a genius of an embezzler from 2003-2006. She raped mmy business – no kiss first. She took over 300K – everything I had made during the last of the good years. I’m a specialty contractor and we are sucking wind mightily.

She was able to do this by turning off the audut trail while she made out checks to herself, her bank, her relatives, her bills, etc. then turn it back on.

WHAT IN THE NAME OF GOD USE IS AN AUDIT TRAIL IF YOU CAN TURN IT ON AND OFF AT WILL?

She also used this handy function to not pay our state taxes – the books (one of many sets) show payment – forensic investigation shows the checks were made to the above mentioned recipients, but the books show payment to the Department of Reveue.

I have no idea how many other folks have experienced this but it’s abhorrent that a company like Intuit can put out a product that is a dream for embezzlers and the newbies/incompetent alike.

Anyone know of any class-action suits out there – I’ve heard these BASTARDS deserve to be crucified – in as slow and painful method as possible. Their behavior is unconscionable.

Following this thread for an hour has given me 3 alternatives to explore. There may be more. I should have posted this four years ago, but I’m working my patoot off trying too stay afloat – with a 300K hole in my checking accout.

FWIW, the grand jury found her guilty of 88 counts of forgery (only a part of her misdeeds) . The judge fond her guilt of one count of thinking about talking to a friend about forgery. We got a $150,000 award, payable at $250 per week. Quick math says 1000 months/12=83 years. She’s now 71 – been paying for 5 years – 78 years to go.

Somehow, I think I’ll get the short end of the stick yet again.
    THANKS INTUIT – I’M LOOKING FOR REPLACEMENT SOFTWARE NOW. YOU THEIVING PR*CKS USED TO BE A GOOD VALUE. NOW YOU’RE KILLING THE GOOSE – YOUR CLIENT BASE.

And a good time was had by all

• Other Accounting Software Options says:
    29 June 2014

Check out the following link for other options of accounting softwares available out there:

• carl says:
    30 June 2014

Sorry – our monthly payment awarded by the judge was only $150 per month, not $250 as I mistakenly stated above – all the other math works out.

At the embezzler’s 5 year probationary review, it was increased to $175 per month. WOW. I could do an amortization table and figure out how many years after she’s dead and A loaf of bread is $7 before I get my restitution. Probably never

Jail time? She may have walked by a jail on her way to a Dairy Queen, but she’s never been in one for this case.

Did I mention the folks at Intuit are theiving PRECKS?!?!?!?!

• Connor says:
    24 July 2014

lol this guy obviously getting his dick sucked by intuit

• carl says:
    25 July 2014

Ummm – the last time I had my dick sucked it was a pleasureable experience. Unless somehow the language changed since I last slept the point i was making, using your analogy was akin to Chinese Water Torture. My tallywhacker was removed over a multi-year period by tweezers and Bic lighters

• Frank says:
    29 July 2014

Tracy if your the one looking at accounting fraud companies are screwed. If these are your reasons for hating quickbooks im amazed you were even able to use it. Maybe your just slow, but quickbooks is one of the easier to use options out there and very flexible. the problem is with users not the software. we switched from dynamics to quickbooks because of all the lockdown you deal with in dynamics.

• Tracy Coenen says:
    29 July 2014

Frank – Are you illiterate? You are calling me “slow” and saying I don’t know how to use Quickbooks. That is NOT what the article is about. The article is about the sneaky tactics Intuit uses to steal money from customers.

• Rich says:
    4 August 2014

I enrolled in payroll today via QB and I was given a 30% off for $15 a month. I didn’t want to pay another subscription but I felt it wasn’t too bad. I then received my receipt in my email stating that I was charged $25 and the reoccurring fee would be $25. I called to fix the problem and I was transferred a total of six times, I guess in hopes that I would just hang up and just pay. Finally I requested to be transferred to someone in cancellation and I cancelled my payroll subscription. You are right Tracy, its sneaky and not ethical.

• Guy says:
    18 August 2014

Just as bad, is regular Quicken home user. Every 2 years they make you (what they call it) is “Upgrade”. But actually its not an upgrade, it is just the full version. You do not need an earlier version to install it, anyone can install it. Intuit gives you a discount to “upgrade now” but I can go to the store and purchase it for cheaper. Every 2 years, they put a halt on online banking downloads to prevent you from using your version to the fullest. If you don’t “upgrade” you have to manually enter every transaction. Way to put it to your customers (of 22 years) Intuit.

• Lynn says:
    24 September 2014

It is 9:30 PM now , I am still at work waiting for QB to finish it backup since ….7PM . it stuck at 99%, it required backup every time it upgrade or want to do something else, it takes days and nights to fix it , since using QB enterprise solution I haven’t been able to go home before 7PM and I start my work day at 8AM , support is a joke with whole bunch of tech worry about your phone number, you email address, your credential more than the issue itself . I have to be here all night because if it doesn’t backup it can’t open , it can’t open, people will wake me up tomorrow at 6 AM , what a mess !